Wednesday, January 2, 2013

Happy New Publishing

The world just ended, then began again, faster than the blink of an eye. It’s a new year and we’re all reborn. I choose not to look backward at this blog’s empty months, and I don’t intend to make predictions about its future (futures don’t exist). But I do want to draw attention to an article by Nina Shengold in this month’s Chronogram magazine about the healthy state of self-publishing in the Hudson Valley. I merit a couple of minor mentions as well as appearing in the group photo, and I think it’s safe to call myself a veteran in this rapidly changing field since I’ve worked in it for over a decade (see Bliss Plot Press).

Read the article here: Brave New Books: Hudson Valley Self-Published Authors Take the Reins.

I’m sure each of us surveyed provided a wealth of information that Nina didn’t have room to use. Want to know more? I’m happy to share my experiences with anyone who asks.

If you think self-publishing might be for you, but you need help finding the services that will bring your book to a professional level, please feel free to contact me. As the one-man production team for Bliss Plot Press, I’ve developed solid skills in both editing (in addition to Bliss Plot, see this) and book design (also this and this), but I have a rather full schedule, so I would gladly act as connector to hook you up with very competent editors and designers that I know.

Also, browse my YouTube page for eight video book trailers (among other things) I’ve produced.

Happy New Era of Author-Friendly Publishing!

4 comments:

  1. Brent, thanks for linking this... and you're absolutely right: there were far more details, insights, and anecdotes shared than I could fit in a single-page feature. I hope you and the other participants continue to connect with others. Call it Indra's networking. Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi, Brent: I am a woman in my fifties, diagnosed late in life with Asperger's Syndrome. I wrote a memoir of my life with undiagnosed Asperger's and my lifelong struggle to understand myself and the world. The memoir is quite readable and I believe it has commercial potential Several traditional publishers actually expressed interest, but so far, nothing has worked out and I want to get this into print. i would like to find an assistated self-publisher with print on demand technology. I actually have a cover design which I purchased from a local artist and I would like to use. I'm in the lower Hudson Valley. Can you recommend anyone? Charli Devnet

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Charli -- Send me your email address or phone number and we can dialog about this. Send to: robisonbrent@gmail.com

      Brent

      Delete